03 November 2011
- Dater uses the term "losers lament" when he hears the old "we're working hard, we're just not getting the bounces" lines from a losing team, and I usually tend to agree.
- However, in this game, I thought the Avs really just weren't getting the bounces.
- The Avs outshot Phoenix in every period and the end total was 40-28.
- No doubt Mike Smith was hot, and had some huge stops most notibly on Stasnty, but he was also lucky. Duchene and Hejduk both had chances in close where the puck was rolling and they just missed the net, Lindstrom had a fantastic tip that simply hit Smith in the shoulder, and the posts bailed out Smith twice.
- I'm not saying these should have all gone in, but usually 1 or 2 of these would. And that would have completely changed this game.
- That's not to say everything was great. Sloppy plays by EJ (a pass to nowhere - 1st goal) Varly (poor rebound control - 3rd goal) and Quincey (outworked by Korpikowski - 3rd goal) gave Phoenix all goals they would need.
- Another -2 night from EJ and Hejda each who are now a combined minus 17 on the season. Plus / Minus isn't everything, but after 12 games, things should even themselves out a little more. (Example, the O'Reilly line is a combined -2.)